Re: Stretch upgrade from Jessie -- several issues

Op Mon, 26 Jun 2017 03:23:32 +0200 schreef Ralph Katz <ralph@ralphkatz.com>:

On 06/25/2017 04:22 PM, Floris wrote:

Op Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:10:40 +0200 schreef Ralph Katz
<ralph@ralphkatz.com>:

3) The sound volume up/down function keys [Fn up/down arrow] no
longer respond (xfce4).  However the screen brightness keys
function normally [Fn left/right arrow].  The mute sound
function key is also ignored [Fn F8].  I can control volume
with the mouse using pavucontrol or gkrellm-volume.

No progress.

if the keys are recognized by the kernel, then you can remap them
with an udev hwdb rule.

Test with evtest if the keys get a scancode and a keycode.
Something like: type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 700e0
type 1 (EV_KEY), code 29 (KEY_LEFTCTRL), value 1 In this case I
pressed the Left Ctrl key, which has a value of 700e0

Create a new rule in /etc/udev/hwdb.d with something like:

evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnAcer*:pn*
KEYBOARD_KEY_ed=volumeup KEYBOARD_KEY_ee=volumedown etc...

use evemu-describe to find your evdev:... line

also read:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Map_scancodes_to_keycodes
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_keyboard_keys
/lib/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb for more information and
examples

Floris

Thanks Floris!  I will look into this, but I am confounded as to why
on jessie and previous versions, recognizing these sound keys was
automatic.

Ralph

Maybe the switch from "the old" xserver-xorg-input-evdev to "the Wayland" xserver-xorg-input-libinput has something to do with it. But I don't know if you have the libinput version installed.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xserver-xorg-input-libinput
X.Org X server -- libinput input driver

This package provides the driver for input devices using libinput library. It can handle keyboards, mice and touchpads, and essentially replaces the separate -evdev and -synaptics drivers.

Floris