Re: Stretch upgrade from Jessie -- several issues

On 06/26/2017 12:50 AM, Floris wrote:
> Op Mon, 26 Jun 2017 03:23:32 +0200 schreef Ralph Katz
> <ralph@ralphkatz.com>:

>> On 06/25/2017 04:22 PM, Floris wrote:

>>> if the keys are recognized by the kernel, then you can remap them
>>> with an udev hwdb rule.
>>>
>>> Test with evtest if the keys get a scancode and a keycode.
>>> Something like: type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 700e0
>>> type 1 (EV_KEY), code 29 (KEY_LEFTCTRL), value 1 In this case I
>>> pressed the Left Ctrl key, which has a value of 700e0
>>>
>>> Create a new rule in /etc/udev/hwdb.d with something like:
>>>
>>> evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnAcer*:pn*
>>> KEYBOARD_KEY_ed=volumeup KEYBOARD_KEY_ee=volumedown etc...
>>>
>>> use evemu-describe to find your evdev:... line
>>>
>>> also read:
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Map_scancodes_to_keycodes
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_keyboard_keys
>>> /lib/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb for more information and
>>> examples
>>>
>>> Floris
>>
>> Thanks Floris!  I will look into this, but I am confounded as to why
>> on jessie and previous versions, recognizing these sound keys was
>> automatic.
>>
>> Ralph
>>

> Maybe the switch from "the old" xserver-xorg-input-evdev to "the
> Wayland" xserver-xorg-input-libinput has something to do with it. But I
> don't know if you have the libinput version installed.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xserver-xorg-input-libinput
> X.Org X server -- libinput input driver
>
> This package provides the driver for input devices using libinput
> library. It can handle keyboards, mice and touchpads, and essentially
> replaces the separate -evdev and -synaptics drivers.
>
> Floris

Yes, the libinput packages were pulled in by the dist-upgrade.  Nothing
in /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-libinput/ gives any clue on how to
use it.  There is no man page I can find.  There is
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf but again no clue on usage.

I think the workaround of using the mouse on pavucontrol or
gkrellm-volume will have to do for sound control.  Thanks!