Re: Stretch upgrade from Jessie -- several issues

Op Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:10:40 +0200 schreef Ralph Katz <ralph@ralphkatz.com>:

3) The sound volume up/down function keys [Fn up/down arrow] no longer
respond (xfce4).  However the screen brightness keys function normally
[Fn left/right arrow].  The mute sound function key is also ignored [Fn
F8].  I can control volume with the mouse using pavucontrol or
gkrellm-volume.

No progress.

if the keys are recognized by the kernel, then you can remap them with an udev hwdb rule.

Test with evtest if the keys get a scancode and a keycode. Something like:
	type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 700e0
	type 1 (EV_KEY), code 29 (KEY_LEFTCTRL), value 1
In this case I pressed the Left Ctrl key, which has a value of 700e0

Create a new rule in /etc/udev/hwdb.d with something like:

evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnAcer*:pn*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_ed=volumeup
 KEYBOARD_KEY_ee=volumedown
 etc...

use evemu-describe to find your evdev:... line

also read:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Map_scancodes_to_keycodes
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Extra_keyboard_keys
/lib/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb