Re: Installing Stretch/Testing with absolute minimal bandwith useage

On 06/14/2017 12:56 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 14 Jun 2017 at 08:50:18 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/13/2017 01:10 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 12:51:10 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

netinst iso. I had never experimented with just how much could
be done with netinst without any internet connectivity.

Probably not a lot.  See; https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/  Internet
connectivity is expected to exist.

Well, it sort of depends where you draw the line between internet
and Internet connectivity. Fifteen years ago I played about with
a private partial mirror where the source of the debs was via
commuternet, ie Zip/Jaz disks transported from my Janet-connected
office. The "internet" was a cat5 cable.

I'm wishing I had discovered the netinst iso years ago.
*NOTE BENE* Up until about a year ago I had only dial-up. The only
practical installation path that met my needs was purchasing
complete DVD sets. I spent many hours trying to coerce Debian into
doing a minimalist install.

What parameter are you actually minimising?

For the purpose of this thread, the downloaded byte count. Period.

However understanding netinst will influence how I approach doing a "minimal" install. [I use quotation marks to emphasize that "minimal" can mean very different things to different people.]

If I had succeeded, I suspect the result
would have been close to netinst WITHOUT internet connectivity. But
I've learned a lot.

Does it make any difference to the resulting package list whether you
install using netinst or a stack of DVDs?

I doubt it. If there were significant differences it would indicate a problem.

I had assumed that you could
deselect all the options in the "Software selection" screen whichever
way you installed, and end up with the same thing, a system with
~248 packages installed.

Are all 248 packages "necessary"? [Note usage of quotation marks ;]

A mechanics question, "How to count the number of installed packages?"
I'd like to be able to reproducibly count installed packages.