Re: Installing Stretch/Testing with absolute minimal bandwith useage

On Wed 14 Jun 2017 at 08:50:18 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/13/2017 01:10 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> >On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 12:51:10 -0500
> >Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >
> >Hello Richard,
> >
> >>netinst iso. I had never experimented with just how much could
> >>be done with netinst without any internet connectivity.
> >
> >Probably not a lot.  See; https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/  Internet
> >connectivity is expected to exist.

Well, it sort of depends where you draw the line between internet
and Internet connectivity. Fifteen years ago I played about with
a private partial mirror where the source of the debs was via
commuternet, ie Zip/Jaz disks transported from my Janet-connected
office. The "internet" was a cat5 cable.

> I'm wishing I had discovered the netinst iso years ago.
> *NOTE BENE* Up until about a year ago I had only dial-up. The only
> practical installation path that met my needs was purchasing
> complete DVD sets. I spent many hours trying to coerce Debian into
> doing a minimalist install.

What parameter are you actually minimising?

> If I had succeeded, I suspect the result
> would have been close to netinst WITHOUT internet connectivity. But
> I've learned a lot.

Does it make any difference to the resulting package list whether you
install using netinst or a stack of DVDs? I had assumed that you could
deselect all the options in the "Software selection" screen whichever
way you installed, and end up with the same thing, a system with
~248 packages installed.

Cheers,
David.