Re: Downgrading specific packages with apt

--- Begin Message ---

UTC Time: June 10, 2017 9:55 AM
From: solitone@mail.com

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 05:45:22 CEST Fungi4All wrote:
> apt
>
> Hold a package:
> sudo apt-mark hold <package-name>
>
> Remove the hold:
> sudo apt-mark unhold <package-name>

That's ok. I can then:
$ sudo apt upgrade
to upgrade that package to the latest available version.

But my question was: once I've upgrated it, how can I *downgrade* it to its
previous version, in case I find out it doesn't work right? What's the best
practice to downgrade with apt?

Thanks

With a package like chrome/ium that runs at the upper level of the structure
(ie top floor 5th) you can take it away and then find the .deb or the source of a previously
working version and re-install it.  Apt will not do this and the reason is:
If you were to do this at a lower level, like 2nd or 3rd, the structure above will collapse.
If you were to remove something like lxdm you will have no display manager to proceed.
You still have the entry level shell.  All package managers are set to be moving forward
upstream as they call it.

In some cases you can substitute mid-level packages, as lightdm with lxdm.  Neither can
coexist with the other.  While your kernel is already built on one, apt will take one away
and replace its functions with the other.  It will affect you next boot.

--- End Message ---