Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.
UTC Time: May 22, 2017 1:54 PM
From: anilduggirala@fastmail.fm

Thanks a lot Felix and Micheal.
I will follow your advice, and for the first time ever, use Debian
Testing. I guess when Stretch is released I will be able to install
that, correct? So I will be able to go back to using a stable release
right?

FAQ101  No, if you chose testing (replace in sources.list or in synaptics list the word jessie with testing) once stretch is stable you will be there, just like if you had just installed Debian9 from the disk and added all your current packages.  But if you don't replace testing with stretch you will end up one step beyond (debian 10).  So it is best to replace jessie with stretch in your repository/sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list use root or sudo to edit).  Then eventually you will be running stretch stable, which might be tomorrow or next month.

I'm really afraid of testing, the whole reason I like Debian is
for its stability, but using stable would require me to install various
packages from backports maybe?? I did try installing that newer kernel,
that didn't work.

How did you try that?  Not all lin4. is compatible with stretch.
The only thing to fear is stability, or too much of it.  I have run stretch and sid (testing and unstable currently) and I get a sense that sid is even lighter and more stable in hardware resources.  With all the fooling around I do I have yet to see anything break or freeze or do anything unexpected in sid.  Stretch is so stable it is boring :)   Now Jessie, that is a really unstable system ;b  .... even your graphics don't like it.

thanks a lot,

(AK)