Re: Update Notifier

On 20-05-17, Yvan Masson wrote:
> I also consider this missing "update notification" an important issue
> for beginners and people that do not want to manually check for security
> updates every day.
>
> > In Debian Jessie install pk-update-icon from debian-backports
> >
> > In Debian Stretch install pk-update-icon.
> >
> > This package works both on Cinnamon, XFCE4 and Gnome. Not sure on the other DEs.
>
> Unfortunately, this is not true for Gnome: in
> /etc/xdg/autostart/pk-update-icon.desktop we can see that it is disabled
> for both Gnome and KDE.
>
> So I suppose that Gnome and KDE should display user notification about
> updates.
> - I can tell that it is not the case for Gnome in Stretch (at least on
> my desktop), which makes me really disappointed. Is there anyone here
> who gets update notifications under Gnome in Stretch?
> - Is there any KDE user here who could tell us if there is update
> notifications by default?
>
> Regards,
> Yvan

Not sure what you mean by "that is not case for Gnome in Stretch". I do
not have pk-update-icon package installed, but I do get notifications
about updates. As far as I know, it is part of gnome-packagekit package.
Not that I use it anyway, first thing after boot is apt-get update &&
apt-get upgrade for me. But it is usually fast enough to notify my that
my morning routine will not be blank shot.