Re: Update Notifier

On 05/14/2017 04:03 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 04:32:44PM +0000, sarez45@att.net wrote:
Why doesn't Debian 8 Cinnamon notify when updates are ready to install
after all these years Debian has existed? Don't tell me there is one,
because after installing Debian I waited a long time to see if a
notification would pop up. It never did. I know about doing apt-get
update && apt-get upgrade,but why should we have to use a command
line? It makes me wonder about Debian security. Would you please put
an update notifier in all your versions of Debian.

Who do you think you are talking to?

LOL! Love your reply! :)

I love that Debian doesn't have an updater/notifier. I rather do things at the command line. I'd be lost without it.

Also, updaters/notifiers I've found don't always pop up the extra information some updates may have (which you would have to read and sometimes interact with to make a decision of whether to keep a config file or not, or to reconfig something.).

If the OP want Debian with a notifier, maybe they should try a Debian-based distro rather than pure Debian. There's tons of them out there. They could check out distrowatch.com for more info.

Personally, I'm glad Debian doesn't notify automatically by default.