Re: Alternative for printer-driver-cups-pdf?

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue 02 May 2017 at 20:04:55 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:
>
>> hello Brian,
>
> Hello Felix.

hi Brian,

>> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

>> > brian@desktop:~$ file freeplane.pdf
>> > freeplane.pdf: PostScript document text conforming DSC level 3.0
>> >
>> > Do you want to start again? :)
>>
>> I tried renaming the file to freeplane.ps, and get the same result when
>> viewing with evince ;-)
>
> Which you would. Renaming the file does not alter its contents. The
> point is that freeplane file has not been produced by cups-pdf. It is
> not (as you assert) the output of printer-driver-cups-pdf.
>
>> > What application produced this PostScript file?
>>
>> Freeplane, a java mind map editor. I strongly assume that this is the
>> built-in java printing functionality. A screenshot of the printing
>> dialog is attached.
>
> If freeplane produced the PostScript file it is highly unlikely any
> post-processing of it would produce any better output.

Makes sense, yes. On the other hand, Freeplane's print preview looks
just fine.

> The print dialog is not quite gtkprint (see the one for Firefox or
> Evince). Whatever it is doing, it does not appear to be producing a PDF
> with the PDF printer it displays. (Producing a PDF is the raison d'être
> for cups-pdf).

Yes, if I do not select [x] Print to File, no output is produced. So it
looks like the openjdk print dialog is broken, or wrongly used.

The print preview in Freeplane looks fine, though. So I will have a look
at the source code and maybe work with the openjdk people on fixing
this.

Many Thanks and Best Regards,
--
Felix Natter