Re: Alternative for printer-driver-cups-pdf?

On Tue 02 May 2017 at 20:04:55 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:

> hello Brian,

Hello Felix.

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
> > On Tue 02 May 2017 at 18:12:18 +0200, Felix Natter wrote:
> >
> >> does anybody know an alternative for PDF printing (from any application
> >> that can print) to printer-driver-cups-pdf?
> >>
> >> The output of printer-driver-cups-pdf (in jessie and sid)
> >> is really bad, see:
> >> http://www2.inf.fh-brs.de/~fnatte2s/freeplane.pdf
> >> (might not be viewable by in-browser pdf-viewer, save and open with
> >> evince/okular to see the broken content: jagged edges, useless font rendering)
> >>
> >> The application I am using (Freeplane 1.6) cannot produce PDFs on its
> >> own (due to incompatibility with the new SVG rendering).
> >>
> >> There was a bug #847462, but it's resolved and didn't seem to help.
> >>
> >> Any hints?
> >
> > brian@desktop:~$ file freeplane.pdf
> > freeplane.pdf: PostScript document text conforming DSC level 3.0
> >
> > Do you want to start again? :)
>
> I tried renaming the file to freeplane.ps, and get the same result when
> viewing with evince ;-)

Which you would. Renaming the file does not alter its contents. The
point is that freeplane file has not been produced by cups-pdf. It is
not (as you assert) the output of printer-driver-cups-pdf.

> > What application produced this PostScript file?
>
> Freeplane, a java mind map editor. I strongly assume that this is the
> built-in java printing functionality. A screenshot of the printing
> dialog is attached.

If freeplane produced the PostScript file it is highly unlikely any
post-processing of it would produce any better output.

The print dialog is not quite gtkprint (see the one for Firefox or
Evince). Whatever it is doing, it does not appear to be producing a PDF
with the PDF printer it displays. (Producing a PDF is the raison d'être
for cups-pdf).

--
Brian.