Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

On Thu 13 Apr 2017 at 10:58:10 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 04/12/2017 01:49 PM, songbird wrote:
> >
> >  another thing you can do is construct your own
> >menu entry and put it in /etc/grub.d/40_custom file
>
> I don't see that being informative for this problem.

Quite the opposite; this is a very useful suggestion. Imagine that
update-grub didn't give you something workable. You would (or should)
be glad of the opportunity to roll your own. I do it all the time with
removable devices.

In your case, if grub-install had given you a "root=" line in a stanza
it is possible you would not be booting the SD card. A 40_custom file
needn't have it in.

--
Brian.