Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 14:27:40 -0400 David Niklas <doark@mail.com> wrote:

> On  Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:30:11 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Linux mantra has always been "choice," plethoras of choices. So
> > why at install time, is there no choice for the init system?  You
> > get what the developers decide. Yes, you can install a new one --
> > I've done it and it works -- but only after the install.  It'd be a
> > lot easier, if there were a choice to begin with just like whether
> > you want a GUI and which one.
> >
> > Now, I know with LFS, you get to choose everything, etc.  But is a
> > choice of init at install time so outrageous that no one ever
> > considered it or is it technically unfeasible or something else.
> >
> > Just curious.
> >

> Because this reply is so late I'm CC'ing you off list.
>
> I sympathize, I run Gentoo Linux and us OpenRC. I plan on running
> Devuan, a Debain derivative that supports lots of different init

I considered Devuan initially, but it's based off Jessie; is still in
Beta, and in a few months Jessie will be oldstable.  Not the criteria
I'm looking for to replace my aging Wheezy system or install on a new
notebook I plan to get soon.

I've looked at other systemd-less Debian-based distros like AntiX and
mx16, but extraordinary measures must be taken to keep them free of
systemd components like using third party repos.  And I fear that will
ultimately affect whether they are truly Stable in the Debian
sense.  I have no interest in rolling releases.  Been there; done that.

Currently, I'm looking into a hybrid-Stretch with the init and
supervisor system I want -- easy enough to do -- disemboweling systemd
and relegating it to an innocous eunuch to satisfy dependencies. That
way I don't need any special repos and update/upgrade will work as it
should. Shows promise right now. More reading needed.  I have Plans B
and C just in case.

> systems. Why no one looks at their project and sees the people
> involved when making a statistic up for the amount of dissatisfied
> systemd users I don't know.

That's an argument for another day.

Thanks for your response.