Re: `Filter failed' no print error message

On Sun 26 Mar 2017 at 22:02:44 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> >> No, no gstoraster in error_log.  From UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.02.tar.gz I
> >> extracted ML-191xspl2.ppd and copied it in a subdirectory of my home
> >> directory, and the file rastertosamsungspl that I copied into
> >> /usr/lib/cups/filter.
> >
> > No gstoraster. You aren't going anywhere. You will not be able to print.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > "UnifiedLinuxDriver" indicates a package downloaded from
> >
> >  http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/
> >
> > But there is no version 1.02 offered by this site, See here
> >
> >  http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/suld.html
> >
> > Copying the PPD and filter is ok. But what file did you copy them from?
> > UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.02.tar.gz is not offered by the bchemnet.com site.
> >
> > Have you got that, too. The file you say you downloaded does not exist
> > at bchemnet.com as far as I can see.
>

> I downloaded - years ago, when I bought the printer - from:
>
>  http://www.samsung.com

You were asked from where you got the package a couple of mails ago. I
should have insisted you answer rather than guessing from a file name.

Your best strategy is to download the latest package from Samsung
instead of using something ancient.

Alternatively, changing

 *cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 rastertosamsungspl"

 *cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 rastertosamsungspl"

just might work.

> .  With those two files, the printer had always worked fine with Debian.  Now I
> installed Debian on a new machine, and the printer won't print.  Strange
> because the old machine, where the printer still does work, *also* has Debian
> Sid, the same operating system I have on my new Lenovo AMD A6 Desktop.

> >> Here it is:
> >>
> >> # cat Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series.ppd | grep NickName
> >> *ShortNickName: "ML-191x 252x"
> >> *NickName:      "Samsung ML-191x 252x Series"
> >
> > Now - that looks ok

> >> and:
> >>
> >> # cat Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series.ppd | grep cupsFilter
> >> *cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 rastertosamsungspl"
> >>
> >> What now?  Thanks...
> >
> > What now?
> >
> > Whatever package you are using is expecting rastertosamsungspl to process
> > PostScript. As its name implies, it will only process raster data. CUPS
> > will not like this line.
> >
> > Please post
> >
> >  cat Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series.ppd | grep cupsFilter
> >
> > for the machine which prints for you. Check the PPD file name in
> > /etc/cups.ppd first.
>

> Here it is:
>
> *cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 rastertosamsungspl"
>
> , but exactly the same output also comes from Lenovo machine, where the printer
> won't work...  So I think there must be some other different special reason
> because one is ok and the other is not although the system is the same on both.

I very much doubt the filtering on both machines is identical. The
error_log you posted for the non-working machine had

 D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftopdf (PID 4741)
 D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops (PID 4742)
 D [07/Mar/2017:14:35:23 +0000] [Job 1] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl

PostScript is being produced. There is no pstoraster filter in unstable's
cups-filters package to give raster data to rastertosamsungspl.

Please run

 cupsfilter --list-filters -p /etc/cups/ppd/<ML-191x_ppd> -m printer/foo <input> -e > out.prn 2> log

on both machines. A PDF or a text file would do for <input>. Post the
two logs you get.

--
Brian.