Re: `Filter failed' no print error message

On Sun 26 Mar 2017 at 17:58:28 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > There are two other questions in the mail you are responding to. You
> > have not dealt with them. I'll repeat them for reference:
> >
> >  > From where did you get the necessary drivers?
> >  > Is there any sign of "gstoraster" in your error_log?
>
> Sorry...  No, no gstoraster in error_log.  From UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.02.tar.gz
> I extracted ML-191xspl2.ppd and copied it in a subdirectory of my home
> directory, and the file rastertosamsungspl that I copied into
> /usr/lib/cups/filter.

No gstoraster. You aren't going anywhere. You will not be able to print.

Read that again. Say it to yourself a hundred times. Got it?

"UnifiedLinuxDriver" indicates a package downloaded from

 http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/

But there is no version 1.02 offered by this site, See here

 http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/suld.html

Copying the PPD and filter is ok. But what file did you copy them from?
UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.02.tar.gz is not offered by the bchemnet.com site.

Have you got that, too. The file you say you downloaded does not exist
at bchemnet.com as far as I can see.

> > You have rastertosamsungspl as a filter. It needs to be given raster
> > data. It looks like it is being given PostScript - so the filter stops.
> >
> > Also provide the outputs of
> >
> >  cat /etc/cups/ppd/ppd_for_the printer | grep NickName
>
> Here it is:
>
> # cat Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series.ppd | grep NickName
> *ShortNickName: "ML-191x 252x"
> *NickName:      "Samsung ML-191x 252x Series"

Now - that looks ok

> > and
> >
> >  cat /etc/cups/ppd/ppd_for_the printer | grep cupsFilter
> >
> > You will probably have to be root to get these.
>
> and:
>
> # cat Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series.ppd | grep cupsFilter
> *cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 rastertosamsungspl"
>
> What now?  Thanks...

What now?

Whatever package you are using is expecting rastertosamsungspl to process
PostScript. As its name implies, it will only process raster data. CUPS
will not like this line.

Please post

 cat Samsung_ML-191x_252x_Series.ppd | grep cupsFilter

for the machine which prints for you. Check the PPD file name in
/etc/cups.ppd first.

--
Brian.