Re: Whats the alternative to .xinitrc

On 2017-02-20 08:34:23 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> If you need a home directory that will work consistently across different
> operating systems, then I *strongly* suggest you stick with startx and
> make .xinitrc a symlink to .xsession for backwards compatibility.

This what I did in the past, but this means that when startx is
used under Debian, the Xsession settings will not be run. This may
or may not be what the user wants. If you want Xsession settings
under Debian, then having a .xinitrc script that contains:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -r $HOME/.xsession ]; then
  STARTUP=$HOME/.xsession
fi
. /etc/X11/Xsession

may be the solution. I have not tried. There might be other things to
do, but you get the idea. On other systems, a symlink to .xsession may
be OK.