Re: Whats the alternative to .xinitrc

On 2017-02-19 19:52:24 +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 19 Feb 2017 at 11:00:25 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
> > On 2017-02-18 20:59:44 +0000, Brian wrote:
> > > The advice in startx(1) is sound but nothing stops you using a ,xinitrc.
> > > The command doesn't work in a ,xinitrc? Perhaps it is incorrect or the
> > > DM ignores it.
> >
> > AFAIK, .xinitrc is not used by DM's, in particular because X has
> > already been started.
>
> I'd agree with the first statement. I am very unsure about the reason
> advanced.

Indeed. I think that the reason is that the DM runs /etc/X11/Xsession
(which starts the window manager at the end), so that this would clash
with the .xinitrc file, which could do the same thing (the session
files would be run twice). You can see this in the default system
xinitrc file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which contains:

. /etc/X11/Xsession

IMHO, the doc related to Xsession (its man page and comments in the
script) is a bit wrong by saying that Xsession is used by xinit/startx.
This is true by default due to the above line, but may not be true if
the user has his own .xinitrc file.