Re: Whats the alternative to .xinitrc

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Debian's Xsession is not the same as Red Hat's.
>
> If you need a home directory that will work consistently across different
> operating systems, then I *strongly* suggest you stick with startx and
> make .xinitrc a symlink to .xsession for backwards compatibility.  Any
> attempt to reverse engineer and consolidate different display manager +
> Xsession combos across multiple operating systems is likely to lead to
> mental breakdown.

I'm a committed Debian user these days so no need for any backwards
compatibility but Red Hat was the first distro I ran (must be 20 years ago
now) but I can remember mapping out the startx processes but not the
details.

Thank you for Xsession WIKI, I wish I had found that a few days ago, it
would explained all I needed to know.

Rob