Re: Whats the alternative to .xinitrc

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 01:13:09PM +0000, Rob Brewer wrote:
> Thank you for your explanations, I must admit that I didn't expect it to be
> so involved. I seem to remember mapping out the X startup processes a number
> of years ago but I was running RedHat then, so I suppose it has changed a
> lot in the meantime.

Debian's Xsession is not the same as Red Hat's.

If you need a home directory that will work consistently across different
operating systems, then I *strongly* suggest you stick with startx and
make .xinitrc a symlink to .xsession for backwards compatibility.  Any
attempt to reverse engineer and consolidate different display manager +
Xsession combos across multiple operating systems is likely to lead to
mental breakdown.