Re: Whats the alternative to .xinitrc

On 2017-02-20 10:15:16 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 04:02:50PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > More precisely, if I understand correctly,
> >
> > 1. The DM can request some window manager (for instance, the user has
> >    the choice between several ones, and he may also choose the default
> >    session file, or whatever has been used last). If a choice has been
> >    done, then /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20x11-common_process-args will define
> >    $STARTUP based on this choice.
> >
> > 2. If there wasn't a specific request, then when
> >    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup is sourced,
> >    $STARTUP is still empty. In this case, $STARTUP is defined there
> >    in the following way.
> >
> > 2a. If /etc/X11/Xsession.options contains allow-user-xsession (which
> >     isn't the default, AFAIK),

Actually it is the default (I got confused with something else).

> >     then $STARTUP is set to the user
> >     session file, normally "$HOME/.xsession", as /etc/X11/Xsession
> >     contains: USERXSESSION=$HOME/.xsession
> >     The window manager should be started from this script.
> >
> > 2b. Otherwise, the following executables are tried in succession:
> >       /usr/bin/x-session-manager
> >       /usr/bin/x-window-manager
> >       /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>
> I believe this is what I documented on https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession

I hadn't read https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession when I wrote that, but
I think that this document is a bit wrong (or incomplete). It says:

  If a specific session was selected in gdm3, run it.

but this doesn't seem to be specific to gdm3 or any other DM.