Re: User-oriented backup tools

On 16/02/2017 21:26, Glenn English wrote:
> No. I've never used it, but a friend of mine does. And it takes forever
> for him to do a backup. So I assumed it was dd.  Maybe it's that other
> OS X disk clone 'backup.'
>
> But when he's done, he doesn't have an incremental backup, just a clone.
> Better than nothing, but not wonderful for programmers and lawyers who
> have to retrieve last week's version.

CCC has either cloning feature and backup feature. It simply let you
choose during the initial steps. I've always used it in the backup
"mode", but sincerely i don't think it relies on dd even for cloning.

dd is for low-level, byte-to-byte, copying, dumping.

> Amanda, IMHO, is the proper backup. But 'simple', 'user friendly', and
> 'amanda' should never appear in the same paragraph. There's significant
> futzing required to get it going. At least mine did, back in the DLT days...

I never saw those DLT days... :)

--
fp
pgp: 0x45399C26