Re: Crashes in Icedove on Stretch

On 02/16/2017 06:11 PM, Benjamin Rochefort wrote:
Le 2017-02-16 à 15:20, Paul van der Vlis a écrit :
Op 16-02-17 om 13:31 schreef Benjamin Rochefort:
I think I fixed the random Icedove crashes I was experiencing on Jessie
by setting layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled to false in Icedove's
config editor.

Interesting. Why do you think this helps?  How long are you running
without crashes?

It's been weeks, maybe even months now.  I found this suggestion
somewhere on the web after searching for something like 'random
thunderbird crash'.  I have no idea what behavior this setting controls,
but setting it to false hasn't removed any visible functionality as far
as I can see.

After changing the setting I noticed one feature was missing -- the ability of Icedove to suddenly make my desktop appear while I was trying to read messages!

That's why I returned the setting to its default. I like surprises.

g,d&r

JP