Re: disk error -> reset entire USB connection

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 06:00:59PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I have multiple drives in a Vantec HX4 case connect by USB 3.0  It
> seems a disk I/O error* causes the entire USB connection to reset,
> causing all the drives to be remapped and screwing up the connections
> to all the disks in the case.
>
> Is this expected behavior for the linux kernel?

I have a drive cage with 4 RAIDed disks in it (two pairs of RAID1)
connected with USB and I don't see any issues. I am running Jessie and I
keep my machine up to date (for Jessie, that is :) ).

One thought -- how are you identifying the disks for mounting? If you
identify them in fstab by UUID, it shouldn't matter if they get remapped
when the USB infrastructure resets, no?

I see my 4 disks in my drive cage (from the days when they were not
RAID, admittedly) sometimes come up as Drive 1 = /dev/sdc, Drive 2 =
/dev/sdd, Drive 3 = /dev/sde, Drive 4 /dev/sdf, but at other times they
have been Disk 1 = /dev/sde, Disk 2 = /dev/sdf, Disk 3 = /dev/sdc, Disk
4 = /dev/sdd, and my machine was none the worse for it.

Mark