Re: WARNING! New Perl/Perl-base upgrade removes 141 Sid/Unstable packages

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 12:38:51 +0100
Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:

> On 2016-12-16 18:06:26 +0000, Joe wrote:
> > Do you have X running?
>
> Not always.
>
> > I use Synaptic in these situations, where it is easy to try packages
> > to see what can be upgraded without removals I'm not willing to
> > accept.
>
> But that's not automatic (aptitude can also do that, and one can
> undo a choice if it yields removals).

Difficult to see how it could be automated, as sometimes it's a value
judgement as to whether to temporarily sacrifice application x in order
to upgrade y immediately, or whether to wait a while. Occasionally, a
package is removed permanently, and there's no obvious way of
differentiating such a removal from a temporary dependency issue
without resorting to a search engine.

And I know that aptitude can do all kinds of amazing things in
interactive mode, but I have some kind of mental block about it. I've
tried learning it two or three times, and it seems to be just about as
counter-intuitive to operate as anything possibly can be. I have
nothing against curses programs, I use mc in preference to other file
managers for admin work on my workstation, which does run X at all
times. I just don't get on with aptitude.

--
Joe