Re: WARNING! New Perl/Perl-base upgrade removes 141 Sid/Unstable packages

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:40:29 +0100
Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:

> On 2016-12-07 23:45:24 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> > > Sorry for the late reply, but all these may remove important
> > > packages, i.e. they have the same issues.
> >
> > Don't let them - that is the point of the -s.
>
> The -s is actually not necessary since if a package is to be removed,
> the user may still refuse. Safe, but still annoying as this requires
> a manual handling.
>
> > safe-upgrade is specifically not supposed to remove anything at all,
> > important or otherwise.
>
> Perhaps this is better now, but a few months ago:
>
> ypig:~> aptitude safe-upgrade -s
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   gmp-ecm{u}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 8 not
> upgraded.
>
> Well, the bug is now claimed to be fixed:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=819636
>
> But since, I've still had problems with the UI. One problem is that
> safe-upgrade is apparently missing from the UI.
>
> > And have you looked into apt and apt-get?
>
> They have there own issues, but mainly limitations: no UI to
> exclude individual packages from an upgrade (e.g. because of
> a serious bug), no support for frozen packages (a feature from
> aptitude).

Do you have X running? I use Synaptic in these situations, where it is
easy to try packages to see what can be upgraded without removals I'm
not willing to accept. On a few occasions, I have managed to hit on the
right order to do a large upgrade, and actually managed to upgrade
every package in a few passes when neither apt-get nor aptitude could do
it in one go.

--
Joe