non-free software requirement

When I installed debian I got a message saying my computer (emachines laptop AMD Athlon X2 64bit) needed some non-free software. The names of the software were given although I did not record the names. I decided to go ahead without the non-free software as I would have needed it on a media and I had no easy way of getting it then. Everything is working pretty well and I am tempted to continue without the non-free software. However, I wondered what it might be for. The fan seems to be on more than usual and also I have to manually increase the screen brightness every time I turn the computer on so I guess it could be something to do with that.

I would appreciate any advice on this. Is it possible to run a test to see what that software was and install it now. Although I would prefer not have any non-free software I would have it if it was something quite important such as controlling the fan.

Steve