nmtui difficulties

I don't know what it's looking for in the device: field. I tried wlan0 and what my system renamed wlan0 to and neither worked. The odd thing is, the connection I want to use is listed as a connection available to add when I run the program. I ran the program as root user and maybe it ought to have been run as user but the program didn't complain to that effect when it was started. Before running nmtui the last time, I set the wifi link up with ip so am not surprised the link was found by nmtui.