Re: hplip and use of the "driver plugin"

On 12/06/2016 06:50 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Tuesday 06 December 2016 02:51:33 Jape Person wrote:
Yes, I know I can tell some browsers to give me light text on a dark
background, but that never works as well as the control I have in my
mail client.

Out of interest, which do you use?  I need a backup, for when the bit-rot on
the one I use finally makes it unusable.

Lisi

Hi, Lisi.

I rotate through Lynx, Links2, W3M, Xombrero, Conkeror, Firefox, and Torbrowser (Firefox over the Tor network). They all have their pitfalls.

I think that browsers are -- far and away -- the worst software in common use. They're just terrible. Yes, I know that they have to cope with a lot out there on the Internet. But if you have to evaluate software on its fitness for use, and that use is the Internet, then browsers are just plain lousy at their jobs.

I'll never forget hearing someone trying to prop an early version of Netscape up by saying that it was a good browser *because* it failed on badly written pages. I reminded the Netscape defender that the spec indicated that browser were supposed to do their best to render whatever was given to them without crashing.

But many browsers are so awful that sometimes I just wish that they would just go ahead and crash. I find that browsers are also the worst software in cooperating with dark themes on the desktop. This seems especially true wrt trying to distinguish text from background in forms that I'm filling out online.

I would say that Conkeror is my favorite right now. But there's a learning curve, related partially to its Emacs-like command key combinations and structure. I was comfortable with it right away. My wife won't touch it. But it's very fast and reliable.

I find that taste in browsers and editors is really particular to the user. What I absolutely hate you may adore. But maybe one of those may be useful to you.

Good luck!