Setting ad-hoc connection that survives sleep

I have a headless machine connected to an ad-hoc network here.
I have the network setup in /etc/network/interface and it is brought up
fine at boot, but after suspend/resume the connection is lost until
I manually do ifdown+ifup.

I guess I could add the ifdown+ifup to /etc/pm/sleep.d, but I was
wondering if there's some other way to solve this problem without
writing my own scripts (I thought of using wpa_supplicant but couldn't
find any info about ad-hoc networks, so I assume it doesn't support such
connections).

Any idea?

        Stefan