Re: Debian *not very good

On Fri 25 Nov 2016 at 15:34:01 (-0500), The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2016-11-25 at 14:02, Joel Wirāmu Pauling wrote:
>
> > Seriously tho; If you had RTFM you would have known systemd and
> > friends were going to be the default on upgrade and taken steps to
> > migrate your init.d scripts beforehand.
>
> To be fair, it's entirely reasonable to expect that a change in what
> defaults will only affect new installs, not upgrades; in an upgrade
> scenario, the defaults have already been applied (during the original
> install), so there's no reason for the new defaults to get invoked.

It's not clear to me whether the OP upgraded with dist-upgrade or with
a new install. "This time I  find the current Debian as part of the
install process..." suggests the latter.

I do have another problem understanding the OP. Their list of required
software makes no mention of a DE, yet they appear to use one, and to
have installed nine times as many packages as they desire. I can't
square that with someone who hacks Unix source code and claims to have
been using Debian since it was version 0.9X or earlier, a time when
the total number of *files* in the distribution was far fewer than the
number of *packages* available now.

Cheers,
David.