Re: Some function keys not working on a ThinkPad W550s

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016, Celejar wrote:
> applications and a few things from backports. I'm currently running
> kernel 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 from backports.

Don't.  That kernel is very broken.  Switch to the latest 4.8 kernel
available from either unstable or kernel.org, or compile the latest
4.4-longterm kernel from kernel.org.

> Some of the function keys work (e.g., Fn-F5/F6 for brightness down/up),
> but some do not (e.g., F1-F3 for volume control, and F4 for suspend
> (suspend works fine out of the box via the Xfce suspend hooks)). Any
> idea how to fix / troubleshoot this?

run xev, and check if you get X events.  If you do, you need to get xfce
to handle these X events somehow (can't help you there).

If you don't see anything in xev, use the stuff in package input-utils
to trace events in the thinkpad-acpi input device, and also on the main
keyboard input device (lsinput, input-events).  That might help.

> I saw this:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_get_special_keys_to_work

It is somewhat outdated for the newer Lenovo models and Linux kernels, I
believe.

> But the details are really not explained well - what are these masks,
> what do they mean, and where are they documented?

You should not need to mess with those.  They are either correct
out-of-the-box, or you need a newer kernel anyway for other reasons.

FWIW, they are documented in Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt in
the kernel source:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/laptops/thinkpad-acpi.txt

--
  Henrique Holschuh