Re: Debian *not very good

On 2016-11-25 at 14:02, Joel Wirāmu Pauling wrote:

> Seriously tho; If you had RTFM you would have known systemd and
> friends were going to be the default on upgrade and taken steps to
> migrate your init.d scripts beforehand.

To be fair, it's entirely reasonable to expect that a change in what
defaults will only affect new installs, not upgrades; in an upgrade
scenario, the defaults have already been applied (during the original
install), so there's no reason for the new defaults to get invoked.

As I tried to point out repeatedly during the major periods of the
systemd debate, different people understand the word "default" in
different ways; the interpretation which I would take out of it does not
necessarily match the interpretation which you would take out of it, and
the interpretation which the speaker meant by it may be different again.
Thus, talking about a change in the default - without clarifying exactly
what you understand "default" to mean - is not particularly helpful for
conveying information.

Looking back now, I would also add that the interpretation which seems
to have been implemented in actual practice is one of the broadest
available.

--
   The Wanderer