Re: Coercing sane file permissions -- site specific

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 09:09:01AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 11/21/2016 12:43 PM, Joe wrote:
> >While this does not actually constitute automounting, I suggest that it
> >differs by a single mouse click. And actually, I didn't deduce that
> >automounting was what the OP wanted,
>
> It is explicitly what I do not want.
> I said in
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/11/msg00838.html :
> "...
> This has me wondering if the objectionable reaction was *before*
> OR *after* having run
>
>      gsettings set org.mate.media-handling automount false"

OK, this is just way too confusing and convoluted for me.

I was one of the people (there were more than one) who concluded that
you might be looking for an automounting solution.  Perhaps we were
wrong.

But in that case, what *DO* you want?  You've been told repeatedly that
it is not possible to mount a file system without root privileges at
some point in the chain of processes.  Meanwhile, you insist that you
want a solution that allows you to do this as "any user", which is
flatly impossible unless there is some daemon or other intermediary
process to arbitrate the elevated privileges for you.

Intermediary agents to mount file systems on behalf of an end user
generally fall into two categories:

 * Automounters.

 * Desktop environment specific tools.

Yet, you seem to be rejecting both of these.

So, what do you want?