Re: Coercing sane file permissions -- site specific

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:36:19 +0000
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 21 Nov 2016 at 18:18:27 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 04:37:50PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I cannot recollect or find any mention of the OP wanting to
> > > automount.
> >
> > Not explicitly, sure. The point is, it was implicitly expected,
> > because for the OP, it's the "normal" thing. It Just Happens.
>
> I have no idea what the OP's "normal" thing is when it comes to using
> his computer. My expections (correct or not) are usually based on what
> is said.
>
> > This sort of thing is what I meant by "recalibrating our
> > expectations": we are better able to help when we are better able
> > to put ourselves in the questioner's position.
>
> Someone deduced "He wants auto-mounting of the inserted media". The
> evidence isn't there. Putting one's self in the a user's position is
> one thing; putting words into his mouth is another.

The requirement was for a non-root user to mount an arbitrary
FAT-formatted USB stick partition read-write in a predictable place.

One way of achieving this is to monitor /var/log/syslog while plugging
the drive in, observe how the OS identifies the drive, and use this
information to construct a mount statement to be typed into a
command window as root.

Or, since exactly the same procedure is necessary each time, it could
be done by a computer. The computer which the drive had just been
plugged into would be a good choice. Plug in a drive and a large button
appears on the screen, marked 'Mount the drive you just plugged in'.

While this does not actually constitute automounting, I suggest that it
differs by a single mouse click. And actually, I didn't deduce that
automounting was what the OP wanted, I said that it was what *I* had
working. The point was to demonstrate that software existed to do the
job the OP wanted done, even if I didn't see quite what software that
was.

--
Joe