Re: Coercing sane file permissions -- site specific

On Mon 21 Nov 2016 at 18:43:20 +0000, Joe wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:36:19 +0000
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Someone deduced "He wants auto-mounting of the inserted media". The
> > evidence isn't there. Putting one's self in the a user's position is
> > one thing; putting words into his mouth is another.
>
> The requirement was for a non-root user to mount an arbitrary
> FAT-formatted USB stick partition read-write in a predictable place.

That is a fair summary. (The situation did become a little less clear
later on when Mate was mentioned).

> One way of achieving this is to monitor /var/log/syslog while plugging
> the drive in, observe how the OS identifies the drive, and use this
> information to construct a mount statement to be typed into a
> command window as root.

It's 2016; being root to get information about a plugged-in USB stick
and mount it is unnecessary.

> Or, since exactly the same procedure is necessary each time, it could
> be done by a computer. The computer which the drive had just been
> plugged into would be a good choice. Plug in a drive and a large button
> appears on the screen, marked 'Mount the drive you just plugged in'.
>
> While this does not actually constitute automounting, I suggest that it
> differs by a single mouse click. And actually, I didn't deduce that
> automounting was what the OP wanted, I said that it was what *I* had
> working. The point was to demonstrate that software existed to do the
> job the OP wanted done, even if I didn't see quite what software that
> was.

The quote I gave (it's in double quotes) was not from one of your posts.
I understood exactly what you said and even responded to your
observation that a plugged in USB stick shows instantly in file managers
with a very short outline of what is involved. I'll flesh it out with
throwing dbus and udev into the mix. The thing about voodoo is that even
a hazy understanding of what it does removes its power.

--
Brian.