Re: Coercing sane file permissions -- site specific

On Monday, November 21, 2016 02:39:04 PM Brian wrote:
> On Mon 21 Nov 2016 at 18:43:20 +0000, Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:36:19 +0000
> >
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Someone deduced "He wants auto-mounting of the inserted media". The
> > > evidence isn't there. Putting one's self in the a user's position is
> > > one thing; putting words into his mouth is another.

From the original post:

<quote>
I use fat16 and fat32 formatted USB flash drives for EXACTLY
ONE purpose.
It is to transfer data to/from a Windows machine.
There is NO [nor will there ever be] a network connection between
them.

When I plug one into my Debian machine I want totally unfettered
read/write access.
[when logged in as root or ANY user ID]

HOW?
{any one notice a tone of frustration ;/}
</quote>

I don't see any mention of mounting, thus I conclude he doesn't expect to
mount, i.e., he expects automount.

(When does he expect unfettered access?  When he plugs one into his machine,
not after he mounts it.)

(Aside: I should probably avoid posting when I have a significant (or maybe
any) headache...--I apparently get grouchy ;-)