Re: Recommendation: Backup system

On 10/02/2016 08:50 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
>> Am 01.10.2016 um 23:06 schrieb Bob Weber:
>>> Like I said backuppc uses incremental and full backups.  The web
>>> interface lets you browse any backup (inc or full) and you see all the
>>> files backed up.  I set the incremental for each day up to a week.  So I
>>> have up to 7 of them.  The full can kept for for however long you want.
>>> I currently keep 12 weekly, 8 bi-weekly and 4 monthly full backups so
>>> that covers almost a year.
> I am not the op, but backuppc sounded pretty nice, so yesterday I tried to
> install it on both my Wheezy and Jessie systems.  It didn't work (with
> different failures) on either system--I won't give much detail for now, but I'd
> just ask a few questions:
>
>    * what system (what version of Debian) are you using?
>
>    * should I expect that it will properly configure a web server (on the
> Wheezy system it talked about apache2, iirc), or must I have a properly
> configured web server before installing backuppc?
>
> Some cryptic notes on the failures:
>
> On wheezy, I thought the installation completed successfully--it ran something
> it called a script, and, in or after the script it gave me a url to log in to
> manage backuppc along with a username and password.  When I tried to go to
> that URL, using either http or https on either of my browsers, it gave me a
> 404 error.
>
> On jessie, it apparently did not complete the installation, it told me it
> could not run that initial script.
>
> Suggestions?

I am running stable 8.5 on my backup machine.  It is a 386 install.  Backuppc is
version backuppc/stable,now 3.3.0-2 i386 [installed]

It uses apache2 (dont know if it will use other web servers) and has put the
following in the apache  /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/backuppc.conf file:

Alias /backuppc /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/

<Directory /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/>
        AllowOverride None
        Allow from all

        # Uncomment the line below to ensure that nobody can sniff importanti
        # info from network traffic during editing of the BackupPC config or
        # when browsing/restoring backups.
        # Requires that you have your webserver set up for SSL (https) access.
        #SSLRequireSSL

        Options ExecCGI FollowSymlinks
        AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
        DirectoryIndex index.cgi

        AuthUserFile /etc/backuppc/htpasswd
        AuthType basic
        AuthName "BackupPC admin"
        require valid-user

</Directory>

So I would assume that there should be a working install of apache2 before
backuppc is installed.  The only install problem I remember (this was quite a
while ago) was that I wanted the backups put in a directory mounted on a
separate partition.  Even though there was a setting for the backup directory in
backuppc the directory is hard coded to  "/var/lib/backuppc" in some of the
installed backuppc programs.  So to use another location you have to symbolic
link /var/lib/backuppc to that directory before install (or mount the partition
on /var/lib/backuppc).  So if you want to use another directory delete
/var/lib/backuppc and make the link (link -s /var/lib/backuppc  /somewhere-else
  or    mount /dev/sdxx /var/lib/backuppc).  Then run "apt-get install
--reinstall backuppc" and hopefully things will be setup correctly at that new
location.  Since I access the backup server on my local net I don't use https.

I use rsync over ssh to connect to linux servers so the data transferred is over
a secure tunnel. So my backup of a remote vm is secure.  The backuppc user
should have public key that is placed in the authorized_keys file of the clients
that are to be backed up. http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html explains
this procedure.

Hope this helps.  I have run backuppc over 10 years at several locations where I
have worked and at home.  It just seems to run.

...Bob