Re: Problems with upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie

On 10/02/2016 08:59 AM, Hans Kraus wrote:
> I upgraded my Debian server about a week ago from Wheezy to Jessie.
> After that the GUI stopped, I see only  the grey screen with the sad
> computer telling me " Oh no, Something is Wrong" and the only option is
> to log out.
>
> I'm using Gnome as my desktop. I installed the package again with:
> apt-get install task-gnome-desktop
> I did not get any error message, but that didn't cure my problem.
>
> Afterwards I tried: "dpkg --configure -a". Again, I didn't get any
> error message but  that didn't cure my problem.
>
> I rebooted the system several times but with no avail.
>
> Which info should I provide and/or where should I check my system for
> errors? The text based login via ssh (I use Putty from Win 8.1)
> functions without problems.

Some people have computers upon which they have successfully performed
operating system in-place major version upgrades; some boast of several
such upgrades over many years.  I didn't have much success with this
early on, so I pursued the KISS approach instead.  I have invested in
learning and resources that allow me to do image, backup, archive, wipe,
install, configure, restore, migrate, test, commissioning, and cut-over
processes.

I find it helpful to:

1.  Have a dedicated hardware firewall/ router appliance.

2.  Have more than one computer, each dedicate to one purpose:

    a.  File server.

    b.  Backup, archive, and imaging.

    c.  Workstation or laptop (one user each).

    d.  Other, as needed.

3.  Use HDD/SSD mobile racks.

4.  Maintain a supply of spare parts, including a spare computer that
can substitute for any of #2.

It sounds like you have put yourself into a disaster recovery situation.
 I'd advise restoring the Wheezy server, building a fresh Jessie server,
migrating the services and data, testing thoroughly, and making a decision.

David