Re: Recommendation: Backup system

Am 01.10.2016 um 23:06 schrieb Bob Weber:
Like I said backuppc uses incremental and full backups.  The web
interface lets you browse any backup (inc or full) and you see all the
files backed up.  I set the incremental for each day up to a week.  So I
have up to 7 of them.  The full can kept for for however long you want.
I currently keep 12 weekly, 8 bi-weekly and 4 monthly full backups so
that covers almost a year.

That would serve my needs well also :) (For the moment it is just my private data - But either way, data should always be backed up ;) )
Thanks for the info ;)

There is another solution you might like called rsnapshot.  I use it to
backup just my root directory on my desktop before I do updates.  That
way if something goes wrong I can boot into a rescue cd and restore the
system to the state before the update.  I just can't afford to have my
desktop to break.  rsnapshot uses rsync so it can backup any computer
that has rsync.  It uses hard links so duplicate files are only stored
once.  You specify how many backups you want to keep and rsnapshot
deletes older ones over that max before adding the new one.  That way
you always have backups (assuming you set the count greater that 1) that
will be there even if there is a transfer error.  This is similar to
your script but is very versatile.

I heard about it but never used it so far, i should give that a try for sure :)

*...Bob*