Re: Recommendation: Backup system

Like I said backuppc uses incremental and full backups.  The web interface lets you browse any backup (inc or full) and you see all the files backed up.  I set the incremental for each day up to a week.  So I have up to 7 of them.  The full can kept for for however long you want.  I currently keep 12 weekly, 8 bi-weekly and 4 monthly full backups so that covers almost a year.

There is another solution you might like called rsnapshot.  I use it to backup just my root directory on my desktop before I do updates.  That way if something goes wrong I can boot into a rescue cd and restore the system to the state before the update.  I just can't afford to have my desktop to break.  rsnapshot uses rsync so it can backup any computer that has rsync.  It uses hard links so duplicate files are only stored once.  You specify how many backups you want to keep and rsnapshot deletes older ones over that max before adding the new one.  That way you always have backups (assuming you set the count greater that 1) that will be there even if there is a transfer error.  This is similar to your script but is very versatile.

...Bob