Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 14:40:44 (+0100), Brian wrote:

> The Internet might want CUPS to mean "Common Unix Printing System"; it
> could organise a day of protest demanding CUPS to mean "Common Unix
> Printing System"; it could sell tee shirts saying "CUPS - the Common
> Unix Printing System". That doesn't count either.
>
> Find any significant occurance of "Common Unix Printing System" in the
> official CUPS documentation or in its source code and there would be a
> case to answer. There isn't, so there isn't. :)
>
> The official name of the software is CUPS.

It would be very surprising to find any occurrence of the string
"Common UNIX Printing System" in CUPS even though that is the
derivation of the term CUPS and, I assume, was still current when
Apple bought it some time in 2007. After all, the home page says:

"CUPS

"CUPS is the standards-based, open source printing system developed by
Apple Inc. for macOS® and other UNIX®-like operating systems."

which is stretching the truth IMHO, given the normal meaning of "for",
"and", and "other", written in that order. Calling it "Common UNIX
Printing System" would blow that out of the water.

They have not air-brushed the original name out of history however.
The blog on their official web pages still documents the (apparently)
last version that carried that name: "Common UNIX Printing System 1.4b2"
15 Dec 2008, and all previous releases use the two names arbitrarily.

Cheers,
David.