Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 22:02:05 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 01:31:03PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> > > Precisely, Lisi. Precisely.
> >
> > The "U" in CUPS officially doesn't stand for anything. The same applies
> > to the "C", "P" and "S".
> >
> According to whom, Brian? (Apart from you, obviously :) ). According to
> the Internet (so it _must_ be true) it stands for Common Unix Printing
> System. Are they, and the Gutenprint driver which prints that on its
> test pages, just making sh*t up then? (To be fair I don't know which
> component creates the test page, but I do know, because I am sitting
> here with one about an inch away from my left hand, that when you ask
> CUPS to print a test page, it prints that on the test page.)

I take it you are talking about the Debian PrinterTestPage (the logo is
at the left hand side). Nowhere on that page does it say "Common Unix
Printing System". Even if it did say that this is a Debian document, not an
official upstream CUPS document. It wouldn't count.

The Internet might want CUPS to mean "Common Unix Printing System"; it
could organise a day of protest demanding CUPS to mean "Common Unix
Printing System"; it could sell tee shirts saying "CUPS - the Common
Unix Printing System". That doesn't count either.

Find any significant occurance of "Common Unix Printing System" in the
official CUPS documentation or in its source code and there would be a
case to answer. There isn't, so there isn't. :)

The official name of the software is CUPS.

--
Brian.