Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:25:19AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 28 Sep 2016 at 07:43:54 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
>
> > Sorry Brian, I think some confusion there due to my phrasing in the
> > original post. There is, to my knowledge, no Canon-supplied Linux CUPS
> > driver for this printer. When I said some variation of "Canon iX6500
> > series driver" in my original post, I was referring to the Gutenprint
> > driver as that is what the Gutenprint driver is called.
>
> https://www.canondrivers.org/canon-pixma-ix6500-series-driver-download/

<snip>

> You should now be able to compare the outputs of the Gutenprint and
> Canon drivers. Color management support is done by cups-filters
> (completed in Aug 2014) so it will be common to both drivers.

Just to say I have downloaded the Canon driver, and also did an
independent search for the specific model, which indeed only seems to be
specifically mentioned on Japanese sites. But searches there take me to
the same driver, so that is good. I'll install this and try test
printing as soon as I have enough time in front of this machine, may be
the weekend the way this week is going.

Didn't want you to think I had wandered off. Appreciate your help.

One thing I noticed -- the site mentions CUPS drivers, but only in
connection with the Mac version of the driver, which I find ironic
considering what the U of CUPS stands for. On the other hand the Linux
driver doesn't mention CUPS. However, on downloading the Linux driver
and pawing through the files that come with it, the install shell script
is looking for a working CUPS installation which is somewhat reassuring.

Anyway will finish trying to understand that shell script later -- it
wants me to run it as root, no way I am doing that until I have
satisfied myself I know roughly what it is going to do -- and then will
install the driver and compare the output.

More to follow...

Mark