Re: Scroll Lock on VT prevents reboot/shutdown

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 18:06:18 (+0300), Reco wrote:

> Presumably systemd has its merits, but VT handling is not one of them.
> I agree that there're many cornercases in sysvinit's VT handling, but
> inability to shut down and reboot is always a touchy subject to me.
>
> But I'm not intending to start a flamewar here (although it's a Friday
> night ;), this 'unable to reboot' thing is clearly a minor bug ether in
> systemd or jessie's kernel.

Agreed. I get fed up looking at a screen that says, say,
"A stop job is running for LSB: RPC portmapper replacement (22min 51s / no limit)"
or worse, the ones where there's a 90sec timeout which, as soon as it
is reached, changes to 180sec, and so on, 90sec by 90sec ad infinitum.
Linux used to be able to close down irrespective of stalled services.
Now you have to risk corrupting filesystems by forcibly powering off.

Cheers,
David.