Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 18:12:59 +0300, Reco wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:51:27 +0100
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > ESP called it the "Common Unix Printing System". Apple doesn't. Why
> > should the wishes (and rights) of one company be respected but not those
> > of another?
> >
> > Apple has probably trademarked "Common Unix Printing System". The People
> > can continue to say what they want but it does not change the fact that
> > the official name of the software is CUPS. That is what Debian uses.
>
> CUPS package description says "The Common UNIX Printing System (or CUPS
> (tm))" for me. So Debian Project uses "Common UNIX Printing System" as
> well.

Thanks for pointing that out. The package description hasn't altered in
that respect since the early days when Debian packaged ESP CUPS. The
equating of "Common UNIX Printing System" and "CUPS" would have fitted
in well with how ESP described it. The description still uses both terms
(and acknowledges the trademarks) and still equates them even though the
present upstream does not

Does this remnant from the pre-2007 days say something about Debian's
view or not? It might say something about Debian but it definitely says
nothing about the upstream developers' view. As I've said, "Common UNIX
Printing System" as an alternatve to CUPS is conspicuously absent from
all source code and official documentation.

--
Brian.