Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Friday 30 September 2016 11:37:13 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 30 September 2016 16:12:59 Reco wrote:
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:51:27 +0100
> >
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > It isn't *any* of it.

> > > ESP called it the "Common Unix Printing System". Apple doesn't.
> > > Why should the wishes (and rights) of one company be respected but
> > > not those of another?
> > >
> > > Apple has probably trademarked "Common Unix Printing System". The
> > > People can continue to say what they want but it does not change
> > > the fact that the official name of the software is CUPS. That is
> > > what Debian uses.
> >
> > CUPS package description says "The Common UNIX Printing System (or
> > CUPS (tm))" for me. So Debian Project uses "Common UNIX Printing
> > System" as well.
>
> Thanks, Reco!  Hadn't thought of that. :
> "lisi@Eros:~$ aptitude show CUPS
> Package: cups
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: yes
> [snip]
> Maintainer: Debian Printing Team <debian-printing@lists.debian.org>
> [snip]
> support, web interface
> ***** The Common UNIX Printing System***** (or CUPS(tm)) is a printing
> system etc."
>
> The stars are mine.  It does indeed seem to call it Common UNIX
> Printing System!!!  Twice!!!
>
> Lisi

When Mike Sweet started the CUPS project, there was not much printing
support for linux.  There was lp, lpd to drive the lot but the details
to drive the printers of the day were in the every man for himself
category. My first linux install, Red Hat 5.0 in 1997 didn't have a clue
how to drive the 24 pin OKI I was bringing over from an Amiga.

Mike, fresh out of school at the time, saw printing's poor support on
linux as an opportunity to collect it all under one name.

IIRC CUPS was first available in 1999 or 2000.  And its gotten pretty
good over the next 16 or 17 years.

I've known Mike longer than that, from back in the Delphi days in 1987 or
so, he wrote several things for the CoCo (TRS-80 Color Computer's, a
family of machines based on the motorola 6809)  that having gotten a
passing grade from his comp sci prof, he published.  I did some fine
tuning of a couple of them, gaining some speed in the process.  With his
permission of course.

He has done well, selling CUPS to Apple several years ago while still
keeping it all GPL. I wondered about that at the time, but its all come
out quite well for all since.  Generally, if a makers printer is not in
cups, its because the makers drivers are proprietary.  Those makers
products rarely get any my fingerprints on them at the store when I need
a fresh printer.

Some makers, Brother to name one, have linux drivers available for their
stuff on their web pages, that work well with cups. I am useing Brothers
drivers on this wheezy install to run one of their bigger MFC's, a
printer/adf-scanner combo that can handle 11x17 inch paper. Not too
handily, but it will do it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)