Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Friday 30 September 2016 14:55:07 Brian wrote:
> It does indeed say this. The "C" is not equated anywhere with "Common".

No.  That is why I said "most of it", not "all of it".

If we are talking about British Institutions ...  Do you even remember
Consignia???  Did you even for one moment stop calling it the Post Office?
Lawyers are one thing.  What people are prepared to say another.  I certainly
never heard anyone say "I'm popping down to Consignia to post a letter".

In that case, the people won of course.  Consignia is dead, the Post Office
lives.

CUPS was intended as Common Unix Printing System.  UNIX is a trademark so
Apple couldn't use it.  So, unlike for the name Apple itself, where Mac lied
to the court and seems to have got away with it,  Apple obediently stopped
using the name and called it officially CUPS.  We, the people, continue to
say Common Unix Printing System.

Lisi