Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 15:28:01 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 30 September 2016 14:55:07 Brian wrote:
> > It does indeed say this. The "C" is not equated anywhere with "Common".
>
> No.  That is why I said "most of it", not "all of it".

It isn't *any* of it.

> If we are talking about British Institutions ...  Do you even remember
> Consignia???  Did you even for one moment stop calling it the Post Office?
> Lawyers are one thing.  What people are prepared to say another.  I certainly
> never heard anyone say "I'm popping down to Consignia to post a letter".
>
> In that case, the people won of course.  Consignia is dead, the Post Office
> lives.
>
> CUPS was intended as Common Unix Printing System.  UNIX is a trademark so
> Apple couldn't use it.  So, unlike for the name Apple itself, where Mac lied
> to the court and seems to have got away with it,  Apple obediently stopped
> using the name and called it officially CUPS.  We, the people, continue to
> say Common Unix Printing System.

ESP called it the "Common Unix Printing System". Apple doesn't. Why
should the wishes (and rights) of one company be respected but not those
of another?

Apple has probably trademarked "Common Unix Printing System". The People
can continue to say what they want but it does not change the fact that
the official name of the software is CUPS. That is what Debian uses.

--
Brian.