Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

Greetings, friends,

I have various scripts in $HOME/bin, many of which I have put in my .config/openbox/rc.xml so I can fire them off with a keybinding combo, like
<keybind key="W-b">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>bid</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>bid</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

(This particular one does cat ~/Documents/bid  | xclip -selection c)
bid.txt being a template letter for bidding on translation projects.
I use this to quickly copy the file and then paste it into an e-mail,
then do any relevant edits.
I'my lazy and like to automate things as much as possible where I can slap a few keys (Alt-m brings up icedove, Ctrl N to compose a new message, then W-b/Ctrl-v to copy and paste my bid template), These things used to work perfectly in Wheezy, and even in a previous Jessie installation, but working in a new Jessie installation,
when I press W-b, and some others I get this:
Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory)
But the script IS in  ~/bin/
$ which bid
/home/tony/bin/bid
and that dir IS in my $PATH:
$ echo $PATH
/home/tony/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
and it IS executable:
$ ls -la bin/ | grep bid
-rwxr-xr-x   1 tony tony     142 Oct  4  2012 bid
I can execute these scripts from a terminal without any problem but not via the shortcuts in my rc.xml, nor with grun (shortcut W-r brings that up fine), nor with dmenu (W-p also working fine)
, and other stuff
Shortuts for stuff in /bin/ or /usr/bin/ (such as for icedove and iceweasel) seem to work fine, I can lock my screen (W-x engages slock); it's just my own scripts and stuff in ~/bin that are giving me trouble..

Why?

tia,
tony

--