Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Thu 22 Sep 2016 at 09:59:07 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 02:50:30PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > To read the manual
> >
> >   apt-get download lightdm
> >
> > works every time.
>
> Hmm, well.

Worked, didn't it? A two second operation.

> $ cd /tmp
> $ apt-get download lightdm
> $ ls, man dpkg, ...
> $ dpkg -x lightdm_1.10.3-3_amd64.deb ldm
> $ gzip -dc ldm/usr/share/man/man1/lightdm.1.gz | nroff -man | less

mc does pretty well in opening the .deb and getting to the man page.
Another two seconds.

> Turns out there is a whole new section in the man page since wheezy!
>
> SEE ALSO
>        dm-tool(1)
>
> That is the only addition.
>
> $ man dm-tool
> No manual entry for dm-tool

Software improves; that is why we use Debian. Try testing/unstable.

  NAME
       dm-tool - a tool to control the display manager
  SYNOPSIS
       dm-tool [ OPTIONS ] COMMAND [ ARGS ]
  DESCRIPTION
       dm-tool is a tool to communicate with the LightDM display manager.

> Yes, I could do a bunch of crap to try to figure out which package
> contains that manual page, extract it, etc.  But it doesn't seem like
> a useful investment of time, as I would not expect it to describe how
> a DM works, or what happens after it has accepted and verified a password.

"Search the contents of packages" at

  https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

A ten second investment of your time.